Sneezing, runny nose, coughing, wheezing, watery eyes, redness of the eyes, itchy eyes, skin irritation, or rash.
The mycotoxins produced by Stachybotrys chartarum are potent, but there is some evidence that only a few strains of Stachybotrys chartarum are toxigenic, indicating that this particular type of “toxic mold” may be quite rare. Aspergillis is a family of molds, and only some aspergillis molds are toxigenic.
Black mold can kill. If you’re exposed for long enough, black mold spores can shut down your organs, incapacitate your immune system, and damage your brain—resulting in death.
In general, the smell of mold is unpleasant, and smells like something is moist in the room. Some people compare it to the smell of wet socks, or rotten wood or paper. When mold eats, grows and multiplies, it releases Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (MVOCs).
Some people are sensitive to mold or mildew. For these people, exposure to mold or mildew can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions like fever and shortness of breath.
Mold is found in virtually every environment and can be detected indoors and outdoors, year round. Mold growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. Outdoors it can be found in shady, damp areas or places where leaves or other vegetation is decomposing. Indoors, mold can be found where humidity levels are high, such as basements or showers.
Sensitive individuals should avoid areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas. Inside homes, mold growth can be slowed by controlling humidity levels and ventilating showers and cooking areas.
Typically an hour.
Usually within 24 to 48 hours. We want to remove your mold problem as quickly as possible to ensure the safety of your health and home.
The average project takes 3 days.
It depends on your situation. Prices may vary based on the size and scope of the work required.
Most insurance companies claim that mold is the result of a homeowner maintenance problem – which they don’t cover. You may stand a chance if the mold was caused by a covered peril such as a burst pipe or sump pump failure but there is a very special way you have to approach it with them. We are experts in determining whether or not your insurance will cover your complete loss and we will make every effort to give you a straightforward answer based on our expertise.
Usually within 5 to 10 days.
Depends on where the mold is. We have to contain the mold so we have to seal off the area around it. We do, however, work around your furniture and living space as best as possible.
Bleaching mold is like bleaching your hair – it’s still there, it’s just a different color now. Killing mold is not the goal. A dead mold spore will give you an allergic reaction just as bad as a living spore. A dead mold spore is coated with just as many mycotoxins as a living spore. Mold is not like germs where you can spray it with something and not worry about it anymore. You need a professional mold remediator to seal off the mold, filter the mold spores out of the air, remove the mold and thoroughly clean every square inch with special techniques.
We do not recommend this. If you don’t remove mold right, then you’re going to expose yourself and your home to a lot of mold which could actually make the situation worse and more costly.
Obsolete protocols made in the 90’s said that was ok but research in the last 10 years has proven that removing any amount of mold yourself is a bad idea because no one knows how much mold is hidden. That’s why professionals set up containment and negative air pressure because this enables us to contain and control the situation if more mold is found. Consider this fact: 250,000 mold spores fit on the head of a pin. How many spores do you think are in 1 square foot of mold?
Only if they have specialized mold training. Only a qualified mold remediator should remove mold from your home. Poorly done mold remediation can make the situation worse.
Rarely. The first thing to do is remain calm. Don’t panic. Don’t just go with the cheapest or first company you call either. Get references, written estimates, and make sure you do your due diligence before committing to any company. Call us for an honest assessment and keep in mind, we encourage you to compare our estimate with other companies in the area.
- “Rick was absolutely the best pro I’ve ever worked with. Explained everything very well. Very friendly and knowledgeable. Wish he did more then just mold. It was a absolute pleasure to work with him”James J.
- “Rick Allen, CEO of Midwest Enviro, did a thorough job, was professional, educated us through the process and said we did not need his services after testing proved all was well with home. He is honest, thorough, effective, like-able, professional and personable. I am recommending him to others.”Joseph B.
- “They were able to schedule our appointment right away. Rick was friendly and they worked efficiently. Waiting for them to return and test the air quality following treatment. I did not know that they would not be replacing the dry wall they removed to do the treatment. Price was along lines of others we called.”Juanita H.
- “Rick from Midwest Enviro Solutions was beyond amazing! For starters, Rick’s inspection, communication and quote was extremely thorough. Secondly, he beat his competitors (two as a matter of fact) by half in price. Last but most importantly, the job was WELL DONE!! Oh and did I mention Rick’s wonderful disposition? If not, it’s certainly worth mentioning as he has an excellent way of making a nervous seller feel safe in knowing the job will be done well. Needless to say, I/we will be referring everyone to Midwest Enviro Solutions (in particular Rick). Thanks again!! 🙂”Terri R.
- “The owner was very polite and friendly. Got on the job very quickly.”Richard E S.
- “If you find that you need mold remediation, you are likely very worried and urgently require information. Call Midwest Enviro Solutions. Rick Allen is capable of educating you quickly on the remediation process and reassuring you at the same time that you home will be fine. Estimates, scheduling, updates and reports follow one another in a quick succession. Rick is accessible and responsive to inquiries. I cannot recommend him more highly.”Lynn Booth