When the relative humidity of your crawl space/basement is 50% or higher, mold can thrive. "Relative" humidity is the humidity level expressed in a percentage of the amount of moisture in the air needed for "saturation" (i.e. the highest level of humidity – 100%). The amount of water the air can hold (humidity level) is dependent upon the temperature of the air itself. When the humidity level begins to creep up past 50% relative humidity, this provides the perfect environment for mold growth!
Condensation is an indication that the air within your crawl space/basement has reached 100%. The air can no longer hold the moisture and it's condensing onto the surfaces, causing the organic materials that make up your crawl space/basement to become damp, which will result in mold growth.
A hygrometer is a device used to measure the humidity of indoor air. Using this tool to measure the humidity of your crawl space/basement is a great way to monitor the amount of moisture present. A thermo-hygrometer measures both temperature and humidity level. These devices are even more ideal for crawl space/basement atmosphere monitoring because the relative humidity level is contingent upon the moisture in the air in relation to the air's temperature.
Being able to track the changes in both of these conditions in your crawl space/basement will allow you to see trends and anticipate necessary changes. For instance, if the weather is hot during the day but the temperature plummets at night, this can cause problems for your crawl space's/basement's humidity levels. The daytime temperature is higher, which allows the air to hold more moisture. As night approaches and the air cools, the amount of moisture the air can hold also decreases – causing the relative humidity level to rise. A crawl space/basement that was at a permissible humidity level during the day can run into problems when night falls. Being able to see these changes on your thermo-hygrometer can help you identify these types of trends so that you can respond appropriately.
Humidity levels in your crawl space/basement affect your home. Having unconditioned air below your living spaces makes the whole house harder to heat and cool as well as provide the perfect damp setting for mold spores to breed and as your attic breathes it pulls those pollutants from your crawl spaces/basements throughout your home (a.k.a. "the stack affect"). In the past, we were told that crawl spaces/basements needed to be ventilated. Now, however, we are learning that crawl spaces/basements need to be treated almost as if they were living spaces. In other words, areas that are in contact with your living space affect your living space. So if you have a crawl space/basement, what solution is available?
- Installation of a wall-to-wall guide, durable vapor barrier.
- Attachment of the vapor barrier over ground and up sidewalls to 6 inches below floor joists.
The result is an energy efficient, healthy home. Midwest Enviro Solutions dry-space methods not only helps mold-proof your home, but the combination of these methods will make it more energy efficient and comfortable and will make your whole house healthier.
- “Rick was absolutely the best pro I’ve ever worked with. Explained everything very well. Very friendly and knowledgeable. Wish he did more then just mold. It was a absolute pleasure to work with him”James J.
- “Rick Allen, CEO of Midwest Enviro, did a thorough job, was professional, educated us through the process and said we did not need his services after testing proved all was well with home. He is honest, thorough, effective, like-able, professional and personable. I am recommending him to others.”Joseph B.
- “They were able to schedule our appointment right away. Rick was friendly and they worked efficiently. Waiting for them to return and test the air quality following treatment. I did not know that they would not be replacing the dry wall they removed to do the treatment. Price was along lines of others we called.”Juanita H.
- “Rick from Midwest Enviro Solutions was beyond amazing! For starters, Rick’s inspection, communication and quote was extremely thorough. Secondly, he beat his competitors (two as a matter of fact) by half in price. Last but most importantly, the job was WELL DONE!! Oh and did I mention Rick’s wonderful disposition? If not, it’s certainly worth mentioning as he has an excellent way of making a nervous seller feel safe in knowing the job will be done well. Needless to say, I/we will be referring everyone to Midwest Enviro Solutions (in particular Rick). Thanks again!! 🙂”Terri R.
- “The owner was very polite and friendly. Got on the job very quickly.”Richard E S.
- “If you find that you need mold remediation, you are likely very worried and urgently require information. Call Midwest Enviro Solutions. Rick Allen is capable of educating you quickly on the remediation process and reassuring you at the same time that you home will be fine. Estimates, scheduling, updates and reports follow one another in a quick succession. Rick is accessible and responsive to inquiries. I cannot recommend him more highly.”Lynn Booth